Monday, December 15, 2014

Post Semester Post

Originally, when I started the class, I was very pumped to finally learn more about relating art to music. This has always been something I've been interested in. However, I felt that my expectations were quite different from the reality of the class. I think I came into the class expecting more of a studio class, working together with fellow classmates and having longer term projects. Although it was nice that the art making was a personal take, it would have been nice to spend some time learning how other people work -- not just the final product, but the process as well. 

In terms of the music, it is definitely music that I would not listen to on my own, so it was quite interesting. I learned a lot about the history of American music though, some coming from British poets, and some just coming from generation to generation with no one source. I had never thought about how music from the past is shared with us in the present -- the process of cataloging is both interesting and important to our culture. 

The speed at which the class went, I believe, was a bit too fast for me. Cranking out one project per week was difficult, especially since I do not have a studio space to work in. Sometimes I wanted to work with oil, but the drying time just took too long for weekly projects. So I think that slightly long-term projects is how I typically work -- many layers to a piece. But I think it was interesting to see what I could create given little time and little space. It made me think a little more outside the box in terms of what materials and what ideas I could work with. I will definitely use what I learned in my future art making, whether it be working with newspaper or working with glass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment